Vaginal discharge is the discharge from the vagina. Vaginal discharge may vary in consistency, colour and smell. It is normal that some amount of vaginal discharge comes out from the vagina. It is common when a girl reaches the age of puberty. Clear mucus is produced from the glands present in the cervix. The amount of mucus may vary. Hormones play an important role in the amount of secretion of the mucus from the cervix. If large amounts of mucus are liberated from vagina and it differs in colour and consistency, it may indicate some underlying infection. Normal white discharge from vagina does not have any odour and have normal consistency.
Causes of Abnormal Vaginal Discharge
Vaginal discharge may increase in amount in certain situations. Some of the common situations in which amount of vaginal discharge increases are:
Precautions To Prevent Abnormal Vaginal Discharge
- During ovulation the amount of vaginal discharge increases. In the middle of the menstrual cycle there is an increased amount of white discharge from the vagina.
- During emotional stress also the amount of vaginal discharge increases
- Vaginal discharge increases during pregnancy
- Vagina becomes wet during sexual excitement.
- Abnormal vaginal discharge is produced due to the following reasons:
- Bacterial or viral infection may lead to an abnormal discharge from the vagina. Candida infection produce white and thick vaginal discharge and yellow vaginal discharge is produced during bacterial infection.
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhoea, syphilis can also cause abnormal vaginal discharge.
- Cervical cancer is also the major cause of producing an abnormal discharge
Women should take precaution to prevent abnormal vaginal discharge. Some tips are given here that may help women to prevent abnormal vaginal discharge.
Home Remedies for Abnormal Vaginal Discharge
- Women should keep the genital area clean and dry to prevent infection of the vagina and other reproductive parts.
- Douching is not recommended immediately after sexual intercourse as it may damage the healthy bacteria and can promote the growth of bad bacteria.
- Avoid unprotected sex as it increases the risk of catching sexually transmitted diseases.
- Do not wear tight fitting undergarments. It may produce irritation and can produce infection.
- Do not use sprays, fragrances and powders in the genital area
- Wear cotton undergarments for quick absorption of sweat and water. Synthetic undergarments restrict the flow of air and can increase the risk of infection.
- Change sanitary pads regularly during menstrual periods.
Home remedies are also very useful for the treatment of abnormal vaginal discharge. You can use these home remedies safely.
- Yoghurt is an excellent product to combat yeast infection. Women suffering from recurrent yeast infection should eat yoghurt regularly to prevent the recurrent attacks.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol as it may cause infection and lowers the immune system
- Do not eat too many sweets as increased sugar level increases the risk of catching infection
- Exercise is very important for reducing stress and to keep your body healthy
- Fruits help to boost up the immunity and help to prevent recurrent infections. Banana is an excellent fruit to control yeast infections.
- Put some coriander leaves in water overnight and strain the water in the morning and drink it every day to prevent recurrent infections.